Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:NY prosecutors want to combine Harvey Weinstein’s criminal cases into a single trial -FutureFinance
Indexbit Exchange:NY prosecutors want to combine Harvey Weinstein’s criminal cases into a single trial
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 21:03:52
NEW YORK (AP) — Prosecutors are Indexbit Exchangeasking a Manhattan judge to consolidate the two sex crime cases that Harvey Weinstein faces in New York into a single trial this year — a move that the disgraced movie mogul’s lawyers oppose.
Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office argued in court filings released Friday that the cases have significant overlap as they involve similar criminal statutes, witnesses, expert testimony and documentary evidence.
They say separate trials would be “extraordinarily inefficient and burdensome” and waste judicial resources.
“There is a strong public interest in consolidating these indictments for trial because separate trials would require duplicative, lengthy, and expensive proceedings that would needlessly consume judicial and party resources,” the office wrote in its filings.
Weinstein is awaiting retrial on two sex charges stemming from his landmark #MeToo case after the state’s highest court overturned his 2020 conviction earlier this year.
He also pleaded not guilty last month to a new sex crime charge in which prosecutors say he forced oral sex on a woman in a Manhattan hotel in spring 2006.
Weinstein’s lawyers, in court filings submitted earlier this month, argued the cases should remain separate.
They said prosecutors are attempting to “expand the scope” of the court-ordered retrial and transform it into “an entirely new proceeding” by including the new charges.
“Having deprived Defendant of a fair trial once, the People unapologetically—indeed, unabashedly—seek to do so again by smuggling an additional charge into the case for the improper purpose of bolstering the credibility of the complainant in the 2024 indictment,” Weinstein’s lawyers wrote.
A judge is expected to consider the arguments at a hearing later this month.
Weinstein, who has been in custody since his conviction, was also convicted of rape in Los Angeles in 2022, though his lawyers have appealed.
The 72-year-old co-founded the film and television production companies Miramax and The Weinstein Company and, produced films such as “Shakespeare in Love” and “The Crying Game.”
Manhattan prosecutors, in their filings, laid out some of their plans for the upcoming retrial, which had been slated to open Nov. 12.
They said they intend to call 12 to 15 witnesses to testify on issues relevant to both the new and old charges, including the victims and corroborating witnesses.
Prosecutors said they’ll also call on experts with knowledge of Weinstein’s “status and influence in the entertainment industry” both in order to “establish the power imbalance” between the once-powerful producer and the victims, many of whom worked in the industry.
They also anticipate testimony from a photographer who can corroborate testimony from the victims about “distinctive features” of Weinstein’s body, something that was also a focus during his prior trial.
Weinstein’s lawyers, meanwhile, complained that prosecutors had long been aware of the allegations in the latest criminal indictment yet “held this case in their back pocket for years.”
They said Bragg’s office had been in contact with the latest accuser going back to Weinstein’s original trial and that she’s changed her stories about her interactions with Weinstein over the years.
Lindsay Goldbrum, an attorney that represents the woman, didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment Friday.
She’s previously said the woman has never made her accusation public and doesn’t want to be identified for now.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Dollar General digital coupons: Get promo codes from USA TODAY's coupons page to save money
- Travis Kelce Is Guilty as Sin of Letting Taylor Swift Watch This TV Show Alone
- Environmental groups take first step to sue oil refinery for pollution violations
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- How James Patterson completed Michael Crichton's Eruption
- 'America's Got Talent' recap: Simon Cowell breaks Golden Buzzer rule for 'epic' audition
- Hubble Space Telescope faces setback, but should keep working for years, NASA says
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Climate records keep shattering. How worried should we be?
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Trump asks to have gag order lifted in New York criminal trial
- Amanda Knox reconvicted of slander in Italy in case linked to her quashed murder conviction
- Pritzker signs $53.1B Illinois budget, defends spending with ‘sustainable long-term growth’
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Walmart offers bonuses to hourly workers in a company first
- Champion Boxer Andrew Tham Dead at 28 In Motorcycle Crash
- Virginia governor says state will abandon California emissions standards by the end of the year
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Boeing Starliner launch livestream: Watch as NASA sends 2 astronauts to ISS
Who is Keith Gill, the Roaring Kitty pumping up GameStop shares?
LeBron James 'mad' he's not Kyrie Irving's running mate any longer
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Boeing Starliner launch livestream: Watch as NASA sends 2 astronauts to ISS
Lily Yohannes, 16, makes history with goal vs. South Korea in first USWNT cap
Man arrested in New Orleans for death of toddler in Maine